Wednesday, February 29, 2012

K-Cups

Gizmodo.com is no fan of K-Cups and I tend to agree.
K-Cups Not Only Make Bad Coffee, They Make Bad Environments
The convenience they offer is nothing to laugh at.  These machines brew coffee fast, and they take away much of the consumer's prep time.  Instead of scoping coffee into a basket, which you must later empty out, you simply throw a k-cup into the machine, and toss it out after.
My first problem with them is that I can't make them.  Green Mountain owns the patents, so it's not that I can't make them, it's that I'm not allowed.  All of the k-cups you buy are made by Green Mountain in one way or another.
Second, I'm just not a fan of the coffee.  I'll drink it, but to me it tastes like cheap coffee from a vending machine.  Some of the problem is in how fast it brews, the hot water does not have time to extract the flavor like it does in a normal drip brewer.  This, I believe, comes down to the user.  Most people are ok with the taste, but really want the speed, so for them this is a good deal.  But you won't be seeing Raptis Coffee in a k-cup anytime soon.
As the article above mentions, there is a big problem with waste.  I'm not going to go into that one, but the last problem I have is the price.  Here is another article from gizmodo showing that when you buy a K-Cup, you are paying about $50 per pound!  Is that really worth the speed?
If you buy just 1lb of the most expensive coffee I currently offer on the website, and paid for shipping on just that one pound, which currently is our Brazil Bob-O-Link coffee, you would still be less than half of the price of a k-cup (per lb, or per cup, however you want to look at it).
These are all the things I think about when customer's as us if we carry k-cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment